Being sick is expensive!
Being chronically ill is even more expensive because it means most of us can’t work anymore. Our society is built only for those who can work according to an unhealthy schedule, IMHO, and if you have an accident or become ill with cancer or chronic illness then you really don’t have many options. That’s why I decided to start a blog.
People die every day because there is not much of a support system for us. Scary right?
Even if you are on your death bed you still have to find a way to pay your bills, eat and pay for medical care because our system is not designed for people like us. There isn’t enough money and the process is so confusing (especially for us with brain fog) that most of us spend years trying to get some sort of help. It’s never enough though. That is why I started a blog and want to help you start one or make money with the one you have.
Disclaimer: Some (or all) of the links below are affiliate links and I may earn a commission or other compensation, at no cost to you, (such as a free month of service) if you purchase something via these links. I use most (if not all) of the products listed and recommend them because I have found them to be helpful for my blog and I trust them. Full disclosure If you have any questions about anything I’ve listed please feel free to contact me.
So what can we do? One chronic illness friendly way to make money is via a blog
When I first heard about this I used Google and did a search for “How do I start a blog?” There is a ton of information and you could research it to the end of time without ever running out of new ideas.
You need to find a roadmap to blogging that works for you. There is no one-size-fits-all for blogging. There are some systems and processes that will be very similar, if not the same, BUT your choice of subject, hosting, domain, theme, design, etc. will differ in many ways from others who blog.
One thing I have to say is that I am not guaranteeing that you will make money if you start a blog. That depends on too many things for me (or anyone) to promise that you will make money.
I don’t have all the answers and I don’t know everything about blogging but…it’s my choice in the pursuit to make money. I am building a blogging business that can support me, pay for medical care/medicine and enable me to enjoy what is left of my chronic life. I’m sharing this blog to help other women with chronic illness who want to start a blog or to help them if they already have a blog.
So, if you have any questions or topics you want to learn about contact me and I will do my best to get a blog post up about it.
I’m going to tell you a little about what it takes to start a blog. Here are a few things you need to decide on first before you dive into the writing part of blogging:
- First, you need to decide on a domain name.
- That is the URL address where people can find your blog. Mine are savvysupportva.com or chronicchimera.com Some people use their name, others use something catchy they like, others use a name that matches what their blog is about like downtomylastspoon.com a blog/podcast about Spoonies or silversingles.com a site for senior/over 50’s dating. Spend some time brainstorming ideas for your domain but don’t take so long you never decide. You can (and probably will) change it later on.
Use a tagline that works for your domain name, blog name, and blog
- Second, you will need hosting
- A hosting company is where all your blog pages, posts, images, media…everything is stored. They charge a fee for this. You could self-host but that gets into an area I have no experience in and I believe it would be cost prohibiting. So you need a hosting company and you need an SSL certificate (for security reasons). I use Siteground but others use GoDaddy or BlueHost. This decision, like all others, is yours to make based on your wants and needs. If you don’t understand hosting do some Google searches, there’s tons of information you can use to wrap your head around what hosting is and does.
- Once you have a domain name and hosting you need to decide what blogging platform/theme you want.
- This is a little trickier because everyone has a different learning curve, opinion or need. There are literally thousands of choices for how to build a blog and what to use for your blog. A good way of deciding what type of look and feel you want for your blog is to find other blogs that have what you like. You can usually go to the very bottom of the page and see what hosting company and theme they are using. I have mine on WordPress using a Restored 316 them with Genesis. It’s okay if you don’t understand that, I still don’t either or can’t remember due to brain fog. Take your time, read the fine print and make an educated decision.
So you have your blog set up…kinda. Now you need to decide on fonts and colors as well as a logo. None of this has to be perfect, you WILL change it. Just get something up there.
- Decide whether writing a blog or doing videos is better for you.
- Google searches for “how to start a blog video” or “how to start a youtube blog” made me think about how much energy goes into writing a blog post. Maybe pacing yourself and using your spoons wisely means creating a blog that uses video instead of written content. Sometimes I use Google Voice to write a post because my hands hurt too much to use the keyboard. Your options are limitless when it comes to how you create and present your blog content so don’t box yourself into a corner. The fact that you offer content through platforms that make it easier for you will help your followers and readers learn how they can access more than their disabilities have allowed. So don’t brand yourself as “damaged” due to chronic pain or illness, show up as your true self who found alternatives to create a better life. I would LOVE to see your success and share it with everyone too so send me your links or share your posts with me so I can Regram or Pin them. Working together we can create a network that helps our Spoonie Sisters launch blogs, products or information and succeed in creating an income for a better life.
You might also like Administrative Tasks Made Easy | For Spoonie Bloggers
Deciding to start a blog is the easy part but how do you make money? Next, let’s talk about monetizing your blog to create an income. There are many ways to use your blog to create multiple streams of income. Here are just a few:
- Make a list of products or services you could sell on your blog. Maybe you are starting a craft blog to show others how to DIY and you want to sell the finished products you make or patterns. I sell my services as a VA (virtual assistant) here on SSVA. You could create printables for a blog focused on meditation and mantras or you could sell adaptive clothing for the disabled on your blog about helping caregivers make the lives of their charges easier. Maybe you are good at writing music and have a blog teaching others to do the same. There is no end to the topics and products you can choose to write about and sell on your blog.
Affiliate links to products you like, use or think are great can be a great way to make money but always make sure the products you promote are good for your people.
- Advertising is another way to make money with your blog. Maybe you don’t have the spoons or skills to create products, that’s okay. You can allow advertising on your blog by selling monthly ad space in coveted spots on your blog, use Google Adsense and even be accepted to MediaVine once you have enough traffic.
- Some people use their blog to teach others about various subjects and sell courses through their blogs. Teachable and Udemy are two sites where you can host your course. They handle all billing and keep a portion of the sale.
Don’t think of your blog as a money-making product, think of it as a free resource center for your people that also provides access to paid tools, products, information or services created just for them.
There are more ways to create an income for yourself than blogging and none of them (including blogging) are easy BUT if you take it a step at a time you will make progress. The first step is to…you guessed it…decide to start a blog
Let me help you build a blog so you can create an income that means you can eat more than soup or so you can pay to see that specialist. Let’s get you going so you can hire help to get out more or so you can take a trip somewhere if your body allows.
This is the last time you will feel as good as you do today if you have an autoimmune disease or other deteriorating chronic illness. Why not use your blog to create an income that makes your life easier?
So now you have some ideas of what you need to do to start a blog and different ways you can monetize it. Why not get started now?
You might also like 5 Easy Blog Post Ideas For Spoonies: How To Write During A Flare
Want to help another spoonie out? You can by sharing this post.
Another sister with chronic illness may need the information provided to keep her blog or business going so she can pay her bills. I also rely on this blog to pay my bills since chronic illness took my health.
Have something you want me to share? Post in the comments. We women, in the chronic illness sisterhood, need to take care of each other. Community NOT competition.
Much love and success!